Monday, February 2, 2009

random kindnesses are good

On the positive side of my last post, and I think this is different from basing your happiness on other people, some lovely people I am fortunate enough to know have really warmed my heart in this past week.
It's the little random things people do that they don't have to that make you realize that you are really not alone even when you are taking some time off from reality and hiding out in your apartment.
1. In the middle of the yucky snowstorm last wednesday, a king cake arrived on my front porch sent by a friend in new orleans. The amount of joy I felt when I walked up to the front porch in the midst of all the snow and ice and saw the giant festive box cannot be measured.
2. the king cake inspired a king cake party the next night, and having my friends over to my apartment for cake and homemade cheese straws and valentines conversation hearts and hummus and hello kitty toast and giggling and wine and whiskey and poetry and dirty versions of the barbie queen of the prom game (barbie queen of the blowjob, complete with toy dinosaurs and gummy octopuses as playing pieces) was needed.
3. my car was completely and utterly stuck in the snow in my driveway following that snowstorm last week, and three of my next door neighbors whom I do not know at all helped push the car, shovel snow, actually drive the car, and just generally assist until I actually got out of the driveway (oh god god god I'm getting really sick of winter) (I pretended I was from louisiana I was so embarrassed at my inability to drive my own car). But they helped so much, and they totally didn't have to, and it was amazing.
4. The chinese food bought for me on friday when I was starving and broke, oh yay for hot and sour soup and sesame balls and eggrolls at ten pm when it's cold and you haven't eaten all day but have no money.
5. this unexpectedly lovely trip to boston on saturday, filled with lots of humor and conversation and getting lost and activities meant for children.
6. Something kind and true said by a friend on aim yesterday when I was at my lowest point and needed it most.
I hope that these are things I can do back for people someday.

No comments: